Thursday, June 17, 2010

It's NOT an allergy

Over and Over again people with MCS (Multiple Chemical Sensitivities) try to equate their illness with allergies. That may be handy at times, but it can be dangerous.

When MCS is treated as an allergy, dangerous consequences can ensue. People, including MCS sufferers, tend to dismiss allergic reactions (other than anaphylactic shock) as inconvenient but harmless. Wrong!

An MCS reaction isn't an IgE-mediated event, as an allergic reaction is, and while further damage to the redox system, central nervous system, and/or immune system is not a certainty, it is definitely a possibility.

All MCS sufferers have redox and central nervous system damage, and 88% of MCS sufferers have developed 2 or more autoimmune conditions, such as lupus, multiple sclerosis, thyroid conditions, etc.

MCS is damage! MCS reactions are dangerous!

An allergic reaction is the immune system misidentifying a substance and mounting an inappropriate response. An MCS reaction is different — dangerously different — and needs to be addressed differently, treated differently, and thought about differently.